- Founder, general and artistic director of the Centre international d'art contemporain de Montréal (CIAC) since 1983.
- Founder of the Biennale de Montréal, with its first edition in 1998 and of the annual event Les Cent jours d'art contemporain de Montréal from 1985 to 1996.
- Curator and head of temporary exhibitions at the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal (1979 to 1983).
- Arts officer at the Awards section for the visual arts and assiCanada Council of the Arts (1975 to 1979).
- Art critic for the Montreal daily Le Devoir (1974 and 1975).
- Member of juries and guest lecturer at many international conferences and meetings.
- Grant holder and recipient of many prizes : the Prix Carrière 1999 and the Prix du Mérite 1987 from the Société des musées québécois; the Prix Louis-Philippe-Hébert 1987 from the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Montréal; he was honored as Personality of the Week by the Montreal daily La Presse in August of 1987.